Winter blues


So I’ve made a top, and attempted another self photoshoot. A while ago I was one of the prize winners for Dixie’s give away, although there probably aren’t very many Niamh’s on the sewing blogosphere… Back to the top. The first thing I’ve made from the book. At the same time I was going into my sewing course and I hadn’t done any sewing in weeks, I’m ashamed to say. I blame my art course, I was too busy drawing. So I needed something easy with guaranteed ease. I picked a simple smock dress, very Japanese style, I ended up not having enough fabric so I cut things short, literally. I’m really happy with the finished piece. I made it in a drapey linen, from the secret stash of mum, I just found this on my bed this morning and it was declared mine. Moral of the story, don’t put stuff on my bed and expect to get it back! The only thing I will say about this top is that it’s really wide… I did make a large but that was armholes and shoulders would have a chance of fitting, it’s completely oversized, the actual measurements for a large is for a smaller person yet this dwarfs me, lots of swinging has resulted with the extra fabric.

I also wanted to apologize if I look like a depressed teenager, the weather was fairly dull that day, but the light was really white, hence the photos. I’m still working the whole self timer thing, I need to figure out to make self timer last for more then one go, and the manual has been missing since….forever. The socks shot was more of a fluke but I liked the look of it so I thought I’d throw it in as part of a group. Enjoy your weekend!


Wool, crepe dress

This is my new dress and as you can see I love it! I used dress H from the pattern book below. The fabric may look familiar. I posted about it here as a christmas gift.

The crepe was really nice to work with.Just the right amount of stretch and a good weight for dresses. The even better thing is that my grandad gives me extra fabric for mistakes so I still have nearly three meters left! It was so wide that I could fit both the front and back main sections on the same part of fabric at the same time! I’m already planning my next project with this stuff!

I made very few alterations to the dress. The main change was that I took out the gathered sleeve pieces and opted for something more simple after seeing this dress. I love the simple shape but wasn’t ready for the ‘V’ in the back!

It’s hard to see but this dress was my first attempt at flat felled seams. They came out pretty well, partially due to the well matching thread and partially due to luck! I will definitely be trying these types of seams in the near futur.

This dress is also lined with this very soft maroon lining that was also part of the gift. i didn’t use any fancy seam-work for the lining. Just my usual zig-zag but I neat topstitching where I connected it to the outer material along the neckline as seen in the below picture.

A back view for you all to see, please don’t scrutinize the saftey pin. It was a Saturday and I wanted to wear my new dress!

Here’s something small I started working on. I had a want to make a friendship bracelet and a willing home! I got the pattern from here. I really want to make one of these too. heart shapes in a friendship bracelet!

My First time plaid success!

Today I come back to you with a first time dress. First shirt-dress, first plaid dress, first collar etc etc….

And yes the hair is natural, sorry it’s one of those questions people always ask me….

Anyway back to the dress. This dress ‘V’ from stylish dress book. This pattern was not quite a dream. The way the collar and neckband came together, i’m very happy about but the panel at the front was not intentional, but c’est good, no…. Overall the shape is good and the only allteration I made was to use bias binding instead of the neckband.

Sorry about the bad computer writing but it is my first time trying it out. Notice how the plaid lines up! I was so happy with the effect. I had no idea how to line up plaid at all, this fabric was a surprise actually. I got it from my grandfather. He went into a fabric shop for over an hour bought this, it’s cotton and the tone look really good! Plus he got bias binding and two spools of thread! My mom says he got help but I like to think differently. Back to the plaid. I transferred the lines from one pre-pined piece of the pattern to the material to the other piece of the pattern. I might do a tutorial on what I did if people are interested.

That’s about it, enjoy the rest of your weekend and advent!

Also, I got some pics back the other day from my local camera store and I have to share them with you….

see you soon! I’m also making socks for the same grandad who got me the fabric with this pattern….